14 July 2007

Racing for the US NAVY 28 JULY!!!!


Months ago I applied to be considered for the Navy's official triathlon team. Over the 4th of July weekend I received official word that I was not selected as part of the very elite, 15 member team.

HOWEVER, I was invited to participate as an "alternate" at the Armed Forces National Triathlon at Pt. Mugu California!

So, on 25 July I will pack my bike (again) and head out west! The race is on Saturday 28 July, but there are 3 days of official military events we have to do. You gotta love the military....

The unique, and scary thing about this race is that it is "draft-legal". No, that doesn't mean winners get selected to go to war (ha ha) or that we can carry draft beer in our water bottles. It means we will ride road bikes, and race in a group, like the Tour de France peleton. What this really means, is that last one out of the water is really screwed!!! And since I'm such a poor swimmer, I have no idea how this race will turn out for me!

The military considers 35 years old to be "masters" aka "old folks" and since I'm 34, that means I have to compete against the 18 year olds! So, stay tuned, check the official Department of Defense Sportslink for more details, and think of me on the 28th as I get my ass handed to me by all the Academy kids!

The top 8 overall men and top 4 overall women (across services) will head to India to race in the World Military Triathlon championship, against military teams from all over the world! Pretty exciting!

GO NAVY!! BEAT ARMY!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Navy ... what an honor!

Your description of your stay in Oregon was so neat ... you did very well in your race, too!

We'll be checking on you ... :)

Cam and Jim