06 October 2007

Seagull Century Ride


On a whim, I decided to do the Seagull Century charity ride (100 miles) with my friend Jean. Now, I hadn't done a single workout since finishing Nation's Tri a week ago. Even more, I've not ridden more than 60 miles at a stretch this entire season. And moreover, I've never ridden 100 miles before in my life! But, what the heck, the weather was predicted to be nice, and I had nothing better to do....

So, Jean and I did a "slumber party" Friday night, with another girlfriend Lisa. We made homemade pesto, drank wine, and just caught up on each other's lives (Lisa is a crazy Doctor doing her resident training, and Jean also works on the Hill).

We woke up at 4 am!! Got picked up at 4:45, hit 7-11 for coffee and headed out to Salisbury, MD. Got there around 7:15, got all checked in and we're rolling at 8am sharp.
The two guys we rode with (fellow Coppi teammates of Jean's) took off right at the start because we ended up riding with the DC Velo club--and the boys got all testosteroni. So, after about 5 miles Jean and I fell off and did our own thing.




We then met up with a group of riders from Annapolis, and ended up riding with them the rest of the day. The sun finally came out once we were at Assateague, but I would have preferred it stay foggy all day!



We finished the ride in just under 5 hours, averaging right around 20mph, and the last 18 miles we really hammered, Jean and I left our Annapolis buddies and just teared it up, passing folks left and right like it was a race, it was fun!





Some interesting facts from the ride:

--5300 riders

--70% of the riders were male

--30% of the riders were female

--The youngest rider was 8 years old and the oldest was 80

--Temperature ranged from 63 (and humid and foggy) to 83 (and humid and sunny!)

--$6,300 was donated to Habitat for Humanity

--$1,200 was donated to League of American Bicyclists

--$2,200 was donated to SGC Scholarship at Salisbury University

No comments: