06 June 2009

The Race for the Cure


The weather finally cooperated today, and I awoke to ~60 degrees, cloudy/overcast buy most importantly....NOT rainy skies!

Met up with Jess, Peggy Sue and Lindsey and we headed down to the mall. The runners and walkers were separated; I was the only one in our foursome who was running, and my race was supposed to start at 8am. I ran ahead to get down on the Mall at the right location....little did I know.


The organizers of the Global RAce for the cure most definitely do not have any military background, because it was well past 8:30 before we finally started! The Second Lady, Dr. Jill Biden was on hand to send us off, but, suprise suprise, so was her husband the VP!

The run itself wasn't a run at all. Even with the walkers segregated away from the runners, there were a ton of walkers on our course. I finished under 25 minutes, but it was a nice little fun run!


What was truly amazing was seeing all the Breast Cancer Survivors; they tell you that it can affect anyone at any age, but until you see a 20-something woman wearing an "I'm a Survivor" shirt, it doesn't really hit home that it really really really CAN happen to you.

I saw lots of great signs and shirts, but my favorite one? "Save Second Base". Love it!

I just want to once again say THANK YOU to everyone who donated; I raised $600 for the cure, and as Pres Obama and VP Biden said today; they plan to end cancer in my lifetime......and you are all a part of that!


And finally, I'm so excited to see my inspiration, Catherine in about 2 hours! I'm off to Dulles to pick her up!

1 comment:

JMoTriBella said...

Hah! Save Second Base! Awesome!!! Congrats on the Race! We'll chat tomorrow. Need to get on the ball for booking St. Thomas flights!